Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Adopting Domestically While Living Abroad

I wanted to let everyone know of a service that we are now able to offer. We have been doing a lot of research, and realized that Americans that are living abroad are having a very difficult time adopting. I am sure it is hard for many reasons, a couple of those reasons being: not a lot of immediate information available, adoption professionals will have to work harder to help make it happen, agencies are unsure of the laws regarding this, and what part will Hague play into it. Well, GOOD NEWS!! I had a prospective client contact me 2 weeks ago, and I have since become very educated on this subject. There is a lot of red-tape, but it is possible. I believe this prospective client and I have worked through all the annoying details of this, and I feel confident that they will be able to adopt very quickly.


Will it cost more?

Overall, Yes. You will have to pay more for your home study, because they will have to come to you to approve your home, so that will be an added expense. Depending on how many post-placements visits you need, you may have to fly them to you more than once.

Will you charge more as an adoption consultant?

No, I do not want to make this process any more expensive or frustrating for the adoptive couple. I am willing to take on the extra work, in order to help fulfill an adoptive couple's dreams. Living abroad should not stop you from pursuing your dreams of adoption.

Will it take longer?

It shouldn't take any longer than if you lived in the states. It 100% depends on your preferences, if you are race/gender specific, very limited to drug/alcohol exposure than it can definitely take a while.

Do I have to work with only Hague accredited agencies?

NO! I called the U.S. department of State and Intercountry affairs to make sure this is true. You are considered a "habitual" resident of the U.S. if you have lived here most of your life, a citizen of the U.S., and plan to return to the U.S. permanently before the adopted child turns 18.

Will my new child need a passport/visa?

Yes. Your new infant will enter the country in which you live on the same type of Visa that you have, i.e. temporary work visa, etc.

As you can see there are a lot of different things that play into adopting domestically while abroad, BUT it can be done. Please feel free to email me for more information on this wonderful new service. We will walk you through each and every step of your adoption journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment