Sunday, July 18, 2010

Despicable Me...Is it Despicable?

Okay, so Emory and I were planning on taking the kids tubing this afternoon, until a scattered t-storm totally ruined our plans! Bummer!! SO, our back-up plan was to go and see a movie. Not much was playing that we hadn't already seen, so our only option was "Despicable Me". After mentioning to my mom that we were headed that direction, she mentioned to me that I may want to read the reviews, because the story was all about orphans and adoption. She informed me, that from the reviews she had read that this movie depicts adoption in a very negative light.

So, needless to say, I heeded her advice and we went to an inflatables place instead! When we arrived back home, I did some research of my own, and found very mixed reviews. So, I thought I would ask you guys: Has anyone seen the movie? What are your thoughts? I would love some feedback. The following are some of the reviews I read about the way the movie depicted adoption:

This adoptive mother liked the movie, but would not want her adopted daughter to see it:
Warning: Because the plot deals with orphans and adoption, sometimes in an irresponsible manner, I didn't take Rosie. I think she is too young to understand that it was done with a sense of humor and true adoption is nothing like it is portrayed in the movie. If your children have any issues about adoption, make sure you talk about it before you go see the movie.
Another adoptive mom states:

The story line includes a single man adopting three orphaned girls so he can use them to fulfill his evil plans. The orphanage caretaker is a surly, demanding woman that punishes the children by putting them in "the shame box" During the climatic point of the movie, the evil character-turned good guy sends the girls back to the orphanage (against his wishes, but it's still a disruption). The orphanage caretaker makes the girls sit in the shame box because they're returned! The end is happy and endearing, heart warming, tear jerking, etc. Really, despite the premise, it's super cute. However, it could definitely be a trigger for traumatized children so be careful! I would NOT recommend it for families that have newly adopted children, have severe attachment issues or that have little girls that were abused by a male figure.

So, as you can see, there seem to be some questionable scenes, so definitely do your research before you take your adopted children, or foster children to see this movie. We have decided, based on the reviews, the dynamic of our family and the age of our children that we are going to pass on this summer blockbuster! I would still love to hear your opinions though, especially if you are an adoptive parent and have seen the movie.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear other opinions from other families as well. I think the movie looked cute, and almost took our son, but then heard that it revolved around adoption. I have 2 friends who took their children (both with adopted children, and both not knowing that adoption was a part of the movie until they were there). One family loved it, thought it was hilarious and has even gone to see it again. Their children are older preteens and were both adopted at birth. The other family is still answering questions and concerns from her 5 year old about the movie. She says that if she had known, she wouldn't have taken her at all. Her daughter lived in an orphanage and now thinks that this is how she was treated (too young to remember) and has since had nightmares. Since she and our son are the same age...and our son lived in an orphanage as well, I have decided that we will not be seeing it, unless we talk about it alot before we go. OR wait until it comes out on video so I can answer questions during the movie if he has any.

    ReplyDelete